Custom Search

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fedora hangs to start X on IBM xSeries

Fedora hangs to start X on IBM xSeries

I have found some problem with Fedora & IBM xSeries 225, 226.
After Fedora installation (I have tried Fedora 6, 7, 9) when the server starts in GUI mode (runlavel 5), the machine hangs forever.


I have tried several tips & tricks. But failed. One day I found Fedora supports color Depth 15.
So I applied that.
And I got the success.
I have followed the following to do that.

I had to start the server in runlevel one (1). [Note: you can start in runlevel 3 also]
Then, change the line following line in /etc/inittab file
id:5:initdefault:
as
id:3:initdefault:
so that, the server can start in CUI mode every time it boots.

Then I changed the display configuration file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf ".
Then, changed the color Depth to 15 in each "Display" SubSection.

Then I had used "reboot". Now I am ready in runlavel 3.
Then, after login, I used "startx" to enable GUI mode.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have solved my same problem.
Thank you.

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com